Our History

Coryland Church is made up of two congregations, Baptist and Presbyterian, that worship together. Originally, two separate churches existed.

The Baptist Church of Columbia and Wells had its origin at the Haven Schoolhouse on April 13, 1846. Baptist Hill Church was erected in 1853 on land that was donated by the Edsall family on Baptist Hill Road. This structure was destroyed by fire caused by lightening on Palm Sunday, March 24, 1991. A beautiful stone marker with an etching of the church now stands in its place.

The Presbyterian Church of Wells and Columbia was organized by a committee that met with local residents to set up the church in the log Aspinwall Schoolhouse on February 22, 1832. In 1839 the project was undertaken to build the church building for $900. The dedication of the sanctuary was held on October 24, 1840.

In 1909 the Presbyterian Church federated with the Columbia and Wells Baptist Church under the pastorate of Rev. Seymour Barrett. The two churches continue to have a combined service. The Presbyterian Church was used throughout the year with the exception of July and August when services were held in the Baptist Church. This was done because the Baptist Church did not have electricity or running water. Summer services were held there until the church burned.

On September 27, 1992 a congregational meeting was held and it was voted to join the assets of both congregations, giving the Presbyterians and Baptists each an undivided half interest of all property.

Each congregation chooses its own deacons or elders and trustees, who meet together as a combined church.